Thursday, February 25, 2010

micro-calligraphy: how to part 2

The first part of this process is described in this blog post: http://americaarcana.blogspot.com/2009/11/steps-to-doing-microcalligraphy-drawing.html

After you have the initial outline you need to choose the words. They are often hard to find and generally you need a lot. I can fit about 256 words per square inch. Generally the amount and size used will depend on what you want the outcome to look like. Experimentation is key, but a couple tricks do exist.

Once you select the words (I selected a couple of dashboard songs that I like: Thick as Thieves, Hands Down, Vindicated and Get Me Right) then you begin with the outline of the figures. Use cursive to create solid lines. Broken or inside lines can usually be done with printed fonts of your writing. Stylistically, you do not have to match your letters to the curves, but write with your cursive letters being about on the lines you drew. Some cases you want to be inside, and others outside. It goes by judgments and artistic creativity. (largely a matter of preference.)



After the outline, generally shading is done in all print. Different sizes and techniques that I highlighted in a past post can be utilized to cause shading gradients. techniques

**update** my schedule is too busy to finish shading now. Hopefully I'll be able to finish this later.

No comments:

Post a Comment