The Honors Humanities Research symposium was today. It was absolutely terrific. . . apart from carrying the 36" x 80" project frame up to the dorm from my house that is. I was really impressed with everyone's work. It was amazing. My peers worked extremely hard on their projects.
The presentations in the panel with me were fantastic. "Art in Action: Visual Arts and Activisms" was the panel composed of Cheryl Tam, Laura Semple, Evelyn Sievert and Douglas Trigg(myself). Laura said something that really struck me during her presentation. "Take a second look." Its a simple as that. After hearing that, I changed the focus of my presentation. There was a lot of information that I needed to share about my project: processes, methods, techniques, messages, importance, details, etc. I shifted to the importance of not just my project, but all our projects.
As an engineering major, I think it's important to justify things. In the world of research, numbers, and science, where does the importance of art come from. I cannot give an all encompassing answer, such would be too simplified, but I do offer an answer that satisfies my acme of my intentions: Take a journey of self discovery, and create something that inspires others to "Take a second look" (and hopefully take their own journey of self discovery).
The Journey of Self Discovery was an important one for me. Embarking on this project and program almost 2 years ago, I had no idea what to expect, or where I was going. At the end, I understand that this was a project that helped me understand my own definition of Liberty and oppression and the ultimate goals of the United States. My personal definition of Liberty includes all people: i.e. Liberty for some is not Liberty at all, it's privilege. (Disclaimer: that's a large generalization, when in practice it gets complicated, but that's the overall goal. I'm an engineer and I reserve the right to simplify.)
"Take a second look." So simple while remaining vastly complex. It's beautiful. I think all artist want someone to take a good look at something. Activism in art: "Take a second look at my art, it is not what it appears. Take a second look at the question my art poses. Take a second look into what you think about something. Take a second look at the issue you are overlooking." I want to inspire thought. Obfuscating Liberty was largely a project to inspire thought. My thought was lead by Lisa Duggan and dichotomies seen in American culture and governmental bodies.
A picture inspires thought. Thought drives action. Art activates action.
http://www.honorshumanities.umd.edu/TransactionsConferenceProgram412.pdf
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment