Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Gallery proposal

Gallery Proposal:
A number of things can be said about symbols we associate with our ideals as an American culture. An interesting piece is to look at the contrast between our ideals and our actions. To immortalize some of the dissonance and express some concern for actions a series of microcalligraphy pieces should be completed. A list and description follows:
~Eugenics – I’d like to add a display of the contrasting ideals of Americans about eugenics. The picture I want to use is either from Disney’s The Lion King or the movie about Spartan soldiers 300. The scene I would like to use is where the child gets held up from a cliff. In The Lion King he is present to the kingdom while in 300 the child is inspected for flaws.
• Buck v Dr. Piddy
• Skinner v. Oklahoma
• Supreme Court buck v. bell opinion by justice oliver Wendell holmes jr.
• Virginia eugenical sterilization act
• Laws and sterilizations by state
• Popularizing eugenics through college text books
• State laws limiting marriage
• Some pieces by Goffman
References:

Lombardo, Paul A. Three generations no imbiciles:Eugenics, the supreme court and buck v. bell Johns Hopkins university press. Baltimore 2008

Selden, Steven Inheriting Shame: The story of Eugenics and Racism in America Advances in Comtemporary Education Thought Series. Volume 23 Solitis, Jonas F. Editor isbn 0 8077 3812 3

~Racism – I’d like to propose a drawing to tackle the issue of racism. I want to focus on the progressive investment of whiteness and a large amount of focus on education system flaws and racisms. The picture of choice would be a city to emphasize our structural creation of racism. The Jim Crow laws would be very handy to use here.

~Freedom and Slavery-- I’d like to do a piece that focuses on education as the source of freedom and empowerment. The image I’d like to use is that either of a book, or of a clearly recognizable school.

~Genocide – This will be a hard topic to cover. At the origin, the picture will compare the massive Indian genocide in America to Dafur and other regions and incidents of modern genocide. The picture I would use is one of an empty trail.

~Homonegativity – I’d like to emphasize the convenience of public v private dichotomies used in United States politics. The particular example I’d like to use is homosexuality. The image of choice would be of two people facing away from the audience, walking down a path holding hands: gender unrecognizable. I’d like the words to really guide this one.

~Censorship and the Internet – This picture would be a simple laptop with hands on keyboard. The words would reflect a large amount of censorship attempts on the internet, as well as good examples of censorship (i.e. legislation preventing child pornography on the internet)

No comments:

Post a Comment