Sunday, November 22, 2009

Current Status



I'm going to try to keep fairly frequent updates from here on out. The part that I'm working on right now is a couple practice drawings before I get to the larger picture. They are not coming out as completely planned, and they take a lot of time and work. A simple practice flower that I did took roughly 5 hours -- and that is with most of the words made up on the spot. The problem that I've run into is the small scale which I did on the pieces so far makes the letters hard to read in some spots. I need to resolve this issue quickly. I'm working a larger practice picture to see if the problem is eradicated on a larger scale.

The research part of this project has grown some strength. The growth is from a couple ideas of the readings I've done for class, namely George Lipsitz, "The Possessive Investment in Whiteness". I'd like to add some of his aspects of the progressive investment in whiteness on the picture. I want balance in the drawing, so I prefer race not receive a larger ration than it deserves. I'd also like to add some of the political confusion we have with the Native American Tribes/Nations.

A large amount of the readings we do propose only the first step in change: admitting there is a problem. I understand that this is a very hard step, and that step 2 could reduce the argument of a particular text for a specific task. I think I'm in a position where taking that second step, and proposing a starting place for change is not going to compromise my work. Either in the light or in the gaze of lady liberty I want to include where I see the solution; the future I want to move toward-- the second step.

As far as research of oppression, I've just stumbled upon google's timeline feature. For a very interesting set of results.
Does your timeline for oppression match up?

To leave off with some really cool micrography art.

No comments:

Post a Comment